Urban Rooftop Gardens Terrace Design – Maintaining the beauty of the environment can be done in various ways, including in the house by creating a green and beautiful garden. Then what is the story if the house owner is not too broad whether it can still make a garden? If it’s like this the conditions are actually there are many solutions that can be selected, including by making a garden on the roof of the house or roof garden.
What is the Rooftop Garden?
A rooftop garden is a man-made green space on the top level (usually a roof or balcony) of a building. This park is designed to cultivate plants, provide play space, provide shade and shelter, or as a seat and green area.
In addition to decorative benefits, a rooftop garden can develop farming activities, control temperature, provide hydrological benefits, add aesthetics, habitat or corridors for wildlife, recreational activities, and on a large scale have ecological benefits. The art of farming in a rooftop garden is sometimes referred to as a rooftop farming, which usually uses a green roof system, hydroponics, aeroponics, or water-dynamics or potted plants.
Stages to Make an Urban Rooftop Gardens Terrace
- Coating the roof you want to make a garden with waterproofing. Leave it for a day until it’s completely dry,
- Act, which is the addition of a layer of cement, requires drying for a day,
- Give a layer of water-retaining (drainage cell) and the soil retaining layer (geotextile).
After the above process has been done, then given the soil and ready for planting plants. Planting begins with grass, bushes, and then tree plants. To prevent damage to the waterproof proof layer, a protective layer must be added so that plant roots do not damage the waterproof layer and the concrete underneath.
Even for the area of the park, it does not need to be large, with just 4 × 4 square meters of land you can create an adequate roof garden. Noteworthy is the problem of drainage, especially for the disposal of water sprayed by plants or rainwater that is accommodated in the media. Do not avoid building leaks due to improper drainage system. One solution for a good drainage system is to provide a certain slope on the concrete roof. This will certainly make the water will flow into the drainage well.
- Choose plants that can withstand heat, This is important to note given the location of plant growth on the roof, which has a distance closer to the sun than an ordinary garden.
- Avoid rooted plants stabbing down like a palm. Choose which has spreading roots and slow growth, Example: pagoda tree.
- Having flower growth that often / diligently flowering, for example, roses, jasmine, virgin, Bougainville.
- It has a lot of branches to create a rather lush shape. Example: pagoda tree, frangipani.